How to make a woven paper baskets with newspaper? Try these tutorials to make stylish storage basket with recyclable newspapers!
In our country, we believe in using every material till it’s very end, be it newspapers, plastic bottles, old boxes etc. We have a habit of reusing things repeatedly. In this article we will learn to make basket from old newspapers. You can use these baskets to store smaller things.
Weaving Baskets With Newspaper
You may like: DIY: How to make ‘Key tag’ using magazine / Newspaper
DIY paper baskets
- Old newspapers and paints
- Rolling stick, scissors and glue.
- Cardboard and card paper
- Take a rolling stick and make newspaper rolls from it and stick their end.
- Paint all the newspaper rolls in the colour of your choice.
- Take a circular container and trace a circle on the cardboard and cut it.
- Now draw lines inside the circle dividing into 8 parts and form a hexagon and cut it out. Cut 2 hexagons
- Now cover the cardboard with the card paper and cut the card paper of similar size as shown in the video.
- Paste two tubes at one corner and one tube each at remaining corners.
- Stick the next hexagon and card paper over the tubes.
- Now start bending the extra tube towards the second edge and repeat it with other tubes also.
- After completing one round, place the container and weave around it.
- Stick the tubes to one another and let it dry and later cut on the extra tubes.
- And your basket is ready; you can decorate it with diamond stickers or other decorative items of your choice.
DIY small paper basket
- Newspaper, glue and scissor
- Decorative material (optional)
- Cut a newspaper of measurements (12.5 cm*5 cm), cut at least 90-100 papers of this measurement.
- Fold it into half and again into half and once again into half as shown in the video.
- You will need to fold it at least 6 times(refer video).
- Once you have all the newspaper cut outs ready, fold all of them in similar way.
- Now weave the loops by inserting each loop into another from the clearly folded ends.
- Each strap will have at least 32 loops. Make 3 such straps.
- Cut a circle from cardboard or thick paper and stick it below the first strap.
- Now stick the 2nd and 3rd strap over the 1st strap as shown in the video.
- Now make a handle for the basket with another small strap of the newspaper and your basket is ready.
Round loops basket
- Make a lot of newspaper rolls as this is purely going to be made from newspaper.
- Now roll the newspaper tubes into coil shape and keep rolling other tubes around that coil till it’s big enough to form a base.
- Now make smaller round coils and start sticking it to the base coil.
- Now make bigger coils with center holes and stick it above the smaller coils.
- Now repeat the same process which we did for the base, now to make the lid of the basket (refer step 2).
- Once the lid is ready, stick a center hole coil on the top of it to make a handle to the basket; and finally the basket is ready, you can paint it with acrylic or poster colours if you want.
Star shaped basket
- rolling stick,
- glue and scissors.
- Start by making a lot of newspaper rolls some smaller and bigger.
- Make two cardboard cut outs and cover them with newspaper and stick one above the other as shown in the video.
- Now start sticking the paper tubes at the end of the cardboard and make a square, and similarly stick tubes over in another square pattern.
- Alternate between the squares and keep sticking the tubes above each layer (refer video).
- Keep repeating this process till a required height of the basket is achieved.
- Once the layers are done reverse the basket and stick smaller tubes as the stand for the basket.
- Finally the basket is ready to use.
Beautiful fruit basket
- Newspapers, glue, scissors
- Rolling stick and cello tape
- Make a lot of newspaper tubes with the help of rolling stick and let it dry.
- Now take one tube and roll it in a coil shape, with any circular object, make at least 20-30 such coils.
- Place at least 12 coils and stick them together with glue to form the base of the basket.
- Make a boundary around the coils with a newspaper tube and stick it.
- Once it has dried, stick another layer of boundary over it.
- Now start sticking another coils in perpendicular direction on the base and connect each coil with other with a loop of newspaper(refer video)
- Once the loop is done in all the coils, make another boundary over the coils, to give a more structured look.
Now paint the basket and let it dry.
- Newspaper, glue, scissor
- Rolling stick and cardboard
- Decorating material (optional)
- With a rolling stick or a pencil, make newspaper rolls, a lot of them
- Once the rolls are ready, cut a small piece of cardboard (5*5) and stick newspaper tube around it.
- Repeat this process of sticking the tube a bit above the other tube till you have achieved the expected height.
- Arrange the tubes in such a manner that the top is broad than the bottom.
- Make a braid with two tubes, and stick it at both ends to make a handle for the basket.
- Now decorate the basket with mirrors or pearls depending upon your choice, you can also paint the basket before decorating.
Oval shaped basket
- Newspaper, glue, scissors
- Rolling pin and cardboard
- Make tubes from newspaper at least 40-45.
- Flatten a few rolls and arrange them in a pattern shown in the video.
- Now take a tube and stick it on the edge of the arranged tubes.
- Flip alternate tubes over the single tube as shown in the video.
- Now place another single tube next to first tube and re flip the tubes
- Weave the tubes in similar pattern till the end of the tubes.
- Ensure all the edges with glue as shown in the video, once you have made a mat like structure from the tubes.
- Now cut an oval shaped border from the cardboard and wrap it with newspaper and start ticking tubes along the oval pattern, until thick enough.
- Repeat this with another oval shaped border.
- Now arrange the mat over the oval cut-out as shown in the video, and make two smaller stands and stick them at the bottom to balance the basket.
- You can paint the basket and decorate it, depending upon personal choice.
Circular newspaper basket
- Newspaper, glue, scissors
- Rolling pin and cardboard
- Decorative flowers, paints and pearls
- Take a rolling pin and roll the newspaper and make newspaper tubes.
- You will need at least 50 such rolls , and now start turning them into coil.
- Keep making the coil bigger by attaching more tubes to it at every end.
- Once the coil is big enough start pressing it downwards to make it deeper to form a bowl like structure.
- Make two such coils, one medium sized and one large and make bowl shape in both of them (refer video)
- Now stick the bigger bowl over the smaller one both facing opposite sides.
- Make a strap from the paper and stick it on both ends to make handle of the basket.
- Paint the basket and decorate it with your decorative articles as shown in the video and stick some flowers in the basket and finally its ready.
So, this is how newspaper can be reused to make baskets. All the above techniques are very simple and require very little amount of your time and money. I hope you like these videos and feel free to share your views in the comment section. You can also check out other related topics at K4 Craft. Keep smiling and creating with K4 Craft!
You’ll also like:
- Newspaper Craft Ideas for Home Decoration
- Video Tutorials : Make Newspaper Desk Organizer at Home
- Ideas to reuse old Newspaper and Magazines [Video tutorial]
- How to make Gorgeous Pen Holder From Recycled Newspaper
- RECYCLED: Home decor wall hanging using Newspaper