Hedgehogs are cute, prickly animals, popularly depicted in children’s books. These stout mammals are, interestingly enough, often referred to as a pincushion with legs. Most mammals are usually covered with hair or fur but hedgehogs are unique, in this case. Instead, their bodies are covered with a thick layer of modified hairs or spikes called quills. Quills are much harder and can cause harm to predators, thereby providing protection to these tiny animals. Did you know? These sharp quills are made up of keratin, the same protein that makes up human hairs! The name hedgehog is derived from “hedge” since these animals usually burrow and find shelter in thick bushes and hedges whereas “hog” refers to the snorting sound they make which is comparable to that of hogs or pigs.
So, why don’t we get started on our hedgehog drawing?
How to Draw a Hedgehog
Things You’ll Need:
- Colour pencils/crayons
Step by Step Instructions
- Let’s start by drawing a long curved line and the small snout of our hedgehog. This curved line will form the stomach and body.
2. Now, let’s draw its back. Draw the back of the body as shown in the picture.
3. Draw four small oblong shapes, tow at the front and two at the back for the hedgehog’s small legs.
4. Now let’s draw its quills. Draw the needles on its body as shown in the picture. Make sure to not make them too big!
5. Draw a small circle for its eye, a small nose and a curved line for its mouth. We’re almost done!
6. Shade in the body with some simple lines and colour in the eye to define its face better.
7. To finish, shade in the body with a brown colour pencil/ crayon. A great way to make your drawing neat and defined is to double-lie the outline of the body.
And there you have it! Your hedgehog drawing is complete. With a little patience and some guidance, any beginner can easily draw an adorable hedgehog. Drawing is a great way to bond with your young ones as it makes them feel closer and more connected to you. It is a fun way to keep them focused and engaged.
So, what are you waiting for? Download your step-by-step instructions from K4 Craft and get started today!